Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Badjao People: Forsaken but not God Forsaken

      
After taking my first mission trip to Masindi, Uganda in September 2010, God led me to enroll in the Institute for World Ministry missionary training program. The classes started in January and as part of the requirement for the course we were asked to research an unreached people group. An unreached people group is a group of people in which there is no indigenous community of Christians with sufficient numbers and resources to evangelize this people group. In the world, there are 6,871 unreached people groups. 

josh project
As I was researching many different people groups on the Joshua Project website, I found the Badjou people who are scattered throughout the Sulu Archipelago of the Philippines. The Badjou people are a very unique people. One characteristic that really drew me to this particular group was that they are considered "sea gypsies" because by tradition they are sea nomads. The photo that I have chosen in this post is a representation of the Badjao's shelter. 
Keep up with the story of the Badjao people as I dig deeper into their ways of life, culture, religion, and determine the best way to reach such a unique indigenous unreached people group! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can not believe there are still people that have yet to hear the gospel. This is amazing, they sound like beautiful people. God bless all your endeavours:)

    ReplyDelete